Food waste is an issue that Extinction Rebellion Malta is highly passionate about. Through a demonstration occurring this Saturday, 4th December, Extinction Rebellion, alongside other organisations, will put pressure on the government to address the issue of food waste and implement the change necessary to mitigate it.
What inspired us to unite and collaborate together along with over 50 other organisations endorsing us was the fact that food waste is not only an environmental issue but also a social issue. This is why we felt that the best way to tackle it was to come together, as the problems driving food waste require a multi-pronged strategy in order to solve this ever-present issue. It is an invisible pandemic that needs to be addressed, and we think that this is the most effective way of doing so.
We believe that food has the power to bring people together and given that this month marks the season of giving, this campaign can help compel more people to donate food and salvage what can be done by helping both the people in need and the country at large. In light of this, we highly encourage everyone to donate food items from the list below.
Lastly, Extinction Rebellion Malta together with the co-hosting organisations are pushing for the following proposals:
- The setting up and funding of permanent infrastructure that would allow small scale supermarkets to be able to donate food that is unsold and fit for human consumption.
- The setting up of infrastructure that will allow large supermarkets to be able to provide the donations to the national food banks.
- Government provides incentives to the relevant stake-holders and entities who take part in such schemes.
- Compelling all supermarkets, both large scale and small scale to stop providing and using single-use plastic bags whilst providing alternatives.
- An educational campaign regarding the importance of reducing food waste to safeguard the planet in all educational institutions.
‘Stop the Waste Demonstration’ is endorsed by A Bird’s Eye View.
Details on the event
Date: 4th December 2021
Time: 17:00 – 18:30
Place: Pjazza Kastilja, Valletta
Basic COVID regulations apply, wear a mask and remain socially distanced throughout the duration of the event.
Written by: Extinction Rebellion Malta
HAVE AN INTEREST, IDEA, OR AN OPINION?
Do you have an interest you’d like to tell others about? Or an opinion you’d like to share with the world? From politics to culture and sports, message us if you would like your articles published!
2 thoughts on “Stop the Waste: Call to stop Mass Food Waste”