The Daphne Caruana Galizia Foundation is hosting an online webinar for all students and for anyone else interested in learning about human rights.
What is the event about?
The webinar aims to teach students about how human rights are applied in Malta and why they should consider a legal career in human rights.
Topics will consist of the environment, prisons and detentions, mitigation and freedom of expression, and how these issues impacted specific victims and, at times, society at large.
Speakers in this event will be lawyers and members of the Public Interest Litigation Network (PILN), a project funded by the foundation.
The panel is made up of renowned and experienced lawyers, including:
- Tina Urso (The Daphne Caruana Galizia Foundation) as the chair;
- Dr Martina Farrugia (PILN Chair);
- Dr Eve Borg Costanzi (PILN Committee Member);
- Dr Claire Bonello (PILN Member);
- and Dr Cedric Mifsud (PILN Member) as speakers.
How’s the schedule?
- Introducing the speakers.
- Why the Daphne Caruana Galizia Foundation set up the PILN.
Dr. Martina Farrugia
- What the PILN does and its mission and her motivation to join the PILN.
- The importance of an active civil society in upholding/defending human rights, with a particular emphasis on freedom of expression.
Dr. Eve Borg Costanzi
- Choosing a career path in human rights
- Diversity of human rights
Dr. Claire Bonello
- The right to the private enjoyment of property, health and wellbeing, and the environment.
- Legal work supporting NGOs.
Dr. Cedric Mifsud
- The application of human rights law in everyday life, (including the Lamin case, transexual prisoners, criminalisation of sea rescue vessels, and detention out at sea).
- Questions and conclusion
How do I join?
Date: Friday, 10th December 2021
Time: 6:00pm – 7:15pm
This webinar is supported by the Active Citizens Fund.
Written by: The Daphne Caruana Galizia Foundation
HAVE AN INTEREST, IDEA, OR AN OPINION?
Do you have an interest you’d like to tell others about? Or an opinion you’d like to share with the world? From politics to culture and sports, message us if you would like your articles published!
Click here to start!